Rest actually needs to be a priority as we lead. Never really considered that idea until I heard a speaker recently point out that when God stepped back on the seventh day He actually was able to look over his creation and evaluate what He had done. God was able to enjoy what what was He created. God was able to be in what He had created and see what He had created. Check this verse out…
Genesis 2:2-3 (NIV)
2 By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work. 3 And God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done.
God rested and he stepped back and looked over what He made. Why would we not need to regularly rest? Rest from your weekly grind allows you to actually…
- Gain Perspective / rest allows you to not think too much of yourself. Rest reminds us that our organization will be just fine without us.
- Enjoy Your Hard Word / rest allows you to actually enjoy the work you have done. You worked hard so go and enjoy it!
- Trust God / when you stop you have to trust God to care for the work you have done.
- Find Energy for What’s Next / you have a limited amount of energy. Rest prepares you for the challenges God knows are around the corner.
- Honor the People that Matter Most / when your not working you can actually give people that matter most to you 100% attention. This is why you should use ALL your vacation time!
- Listen for God / when you slow down and create some space that is away from work you have a better shot at hearing from God because you have a little less noise around you.
Rest. Make it a regular part of your life. You might just become a better leader if you lead by the example God has already set. Dream, create, innovate, strive but also REST!